Hiragana Times | Facebook Hiragana Times | Twitter RSS

Basic Knowledge

First of all, you cannot enter into a contract for a private apartment in Japan until you come to Japan. After you arrive in Japan, if your company or school does not have a dormitory or if it’s full, ask the proper office in your company or school whether they can help you find a place to live. If they cannot, you will have to find one on your own. You don’t need to worry, though. Many foreigners persevere in looking for a place on their own while staying at a guest house or with a friend. To make your search more effective, ask your friends in Japan what they know, look at the housing information journals (sold at stations and bookstores) and the newspapers and magazines published by resident foreigners from various different countries, and gather information by searching the Internet. Once you figure out what kind of place you can rent, at what rent and in what area, then you need to consider the amount of your income and how convenient the place is for commuting to work or school and decide on the areas and types of places you want to look at. (You should be careful to limit the rent to 20-30% of your income, or you will feel the pinch in your daily expenses.)

You also need to be aware that leases generally run for a two year period. When the two years are up and you wish to renew the lease, you will most likely be asked to pay the equivalent of an additional month’s rent (market rate) as a “lease renewal fee”. There are places, like “guest houses” for foreigners, that you can rent for only short periods of time, however.

Japan’s Housing Situation

Real Estate Agents Information

img-tulipLiving with Japanese girls at a clean share house Specialized only for women!
All of the guest houses and share houses run by Tulip Estate company are only for women. They provide many clean and ornate rooms. Since the residents are mostly Japanese, it will be a perfect environment for Non-Japanese to make progress in learning Japanese. The female staff are willing to support your living in Japan. Inspections are always available for you to have a look at a house. The rental fee for a sharing a dormitory-type room starts from 28,000 yen and for a private room from 42,000 yen. The houses are located in Shibuya, Yoyogi, Shinjuku, Nakano, Asakusa, Sugamo and Ikebukuro.
Tulip Real Estate Co., Ltd. Tel: +81-3-6914-7366

A Guest House along the Yamanote Line
They are opened year-round for your convenience. It has been seven years since they started managing their 300 accommodations along the Yamanote line, Offering easy access and comfortable living in and around Tokyo.
T-Estate Tel: +81-3-3406-9777

Comments are closed.